In this episode I talk to Stephane Grenier about his own experience with PTSD from military service in Rwanda to changing the language around PTSD and driving peer support programs.
Stephane Grenier is a Veteran of the Canadian Military who retired as a Lieutenant Colonel following 29 years of service and numerous overseas missions such as in Cambodia, Haiti, Lebanon, and Kuwait. Most notably, he spent 10 months in Rwanda in 1994/95 and six months in Kandahar, Afghanistan in 2007.
Faced with undiagnosed PTSD upon return from Rwanda, he took a personal interest in the way the Canadian Forces was dealing with mental health issues; a mission he has now decided to broaden to the entire Canadian workforce through his work in developing non clinical mental health interventions as a complement to traditional clinical care. In 2010 he was seconded to the Mental Health Commission of Canada and since his retirement from the military in 2012, Grenier has founded a charity and created Mental Health Innovations, a social enterprise dedicated to re humanizing workplaces in Canada.
Throughout his career, Grenier has been recognized for his transformational leadership style, commended for his collaborative efforts and outstanding leadership, specifically during the post war humanitarian disasters in Rwanda, and was awarded a Meritorious Service Cross by the Governor General of Canada for his work in the field of mental health and awarded an honorary degree of Doctor of Laws by the University of Guelph.
In this particular episode you will learn:
- About enough with the talking let's start doing
- What an "operational stress injury" is
- How people are being misdiagnosed when it may just be "moral conflict"
- How Stephane found it hard to articulate his issues while in the military
- Why it's strange that they named PTSD a "disorder"
- What peer support is and how it's relevant to mental health issues
- If you want to change the stigma get the people suffering involved
- Why there should be beacons of hope within the mental health field
- Why the word Stress is more preferable than Anxiety to many companies
Become an Anxiety Podcast supporter: https://patreon.com/anxietypodcast
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: https://youtube.com/timjpcollins?sub_confirmation=1
Retreats page: https://timjpcollins.leadpages.co/retreat/
To get my Toolkit to Overcome Anxiety go to - http://timjpcollins.com/free
In the USA text "LEANIN" to 44222
Please click here to leave a review -http://getpodcast.reviews/id/1031117023
Join the Less Anxiety More Life community - https://www.facebook.com/groups/lessanxietymorelife/