In this episode I speak to Ben Greenfield about all sorts of ways to reduce stress and improve your health. We talk about heart rate variability, adrenal fatigue, how you can incorporate fitness into your life and we touch on getting into cold water.
Ben Greenfield is an ex-bodybuilder, Ironman triathlete, Spartan racer, coach, speaker and author of the New York Times Bestseller “Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance, Health and Life” (http://www.BeyondTrainingBook.com).
In 2008, Ben was voted as NSCA’s Personal Trainer of the year and in 2013 and 2014 was named by Greatist as one of the top 100 Most Influential People In Health And Fitness.
Ben blogs and podcasts at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com, and resides in Spokane, WA with his wife and twin boys.
One of the books Ben mentions "True to Form" https://www.amazon.com/True-Form-Foundation-Training-Sustained/dp/0062315315
Ben's Heart Rate Variability App: https://greenfieldfitnesssystems.com/product/naturebeat-heart-rate-variability-tracker/
Podcast episode on how to use HRV: https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/2014/09/how-to-use-hrv/
Ben's book "Beyond Training": http://beyondtrainingbook.com/
In this particular episode you will learn:
- Ben talks about how he tracks his respiratory rate and starts his day with deep breathing
- How Ben uses a essential oil diffuser
- What heart rate variability is and how that works
- How we need to stop looking at screens for too long as it can strain the eyes
- Ben discusses some testing that he uses
- What is adrenal fatigue and how could it be affecting you
- How much is too much when it comes to exercise
- What type of exercise should we be doing
- What Ben's week of exercise looks like
- How Ben incorporates exercise into his life every day
- We discuss the benefits of cold water exposure
- "You increase your bodies ability to be able to handle stress"