In this episode I talk to Cameron Algie on how he used Improv to overcome his anxiety. And how he now helps others to do the same through comedy and performance.
Cameron worked in advertising for over 10 years. Found it very stressful and anxiety-inducing. Over time it got worse began to include depression. Cameron went for therapy and at some point someone remarked on how he made jokes and should perhaps try improv. Eventually, he tried improv at Second City. It helped a lot. 10 years later, he teaches at Second City, and has introduced the Improv to Anxiety program.
In this particular episode you will learn:
- How for a lot of Cameron's childhood no one even labeled what he had as Anxiety
- How Cameron first ruled out any physical issues before considering that it might be mental
- How a lot of Anxiety sufferers try to be funny to cover up their anxiety
- How improv shows us that it's OK to not be perfect
- How to be more gentle and loving than constantly needing to fix yourself
- How with improv you can't be attached to the outcome because you don't know what it is
- How Cameron decided to love himself as he was
- There is a saying in improv "Mistakes are gifts"
- Why Improv and overcoming anxiety are closely linked
- If you're feeling nervous stand up
- How we don't necessarily need to hit bottom in order to start changing
Become an Anxiety Podcast supporter: https://patreon.com/anxietypodcast
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: https://youtube.com/timjpcollins?sub_confirmation=1
Retreats page: https://timjpcollins.leadpages.co/retreat/
To get my Toolkit to Overcome Anxiety go to - http://timjpcollins.com/free
In the USA text "LEANIN" to 44222
Please click here to leave a review -http://getpodcast.reviews/id/1031117023
Join the Less Anxiety More Life community - https://www.facebook.com/groups/lessanxietymorelife/