In this episode I speak to Dave Asprey from Bulletproof. We discuss diet, coffee and controlling your biology to stop anxiety.
Dave Asprey, founder of Bulletproof and author of New York Times bestseller The Bulletproof Diet, is a Silicon Valley investor and technology entrepreneur who spent two decades and over $300,000 to hack his own biology.
Dave lost 100 pounds without counting calories or excessive exercise, used techniques to upgrade his brain to an IQ over 150, and lowered his biological age while learning to sleep more efficiently in less time. Learning to do these seemingly impossible things transformed him into a better entrepreneur, a better husband, and a better father.
Dave is the creator of the widely popular Bulletproof Coffee, host of the #1 health podcast, Bulletproof Radio, and author of the New York Times bestselling book, The Bulletproof Diet.
Through his work Dave provides information, techniques and keys to taking control of and improving your biochemistry, your body and your mind so they work in unison, helping you execute at levels far beyond what you’d expect, without burning out, getting sick, or allowing stress to control your decisions.
For all things Bulletproof: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/
Here is a link to the Bulletproof Diet Roadmap: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-complete-illustrated-one-page-bulletproof-diet/
In this particular episode you will learn (I've also included lots of Dave's great quotes):
- How Dave went from 300 lbs to 200 lbs and was totally stressed out as a young entrepreneur
- How when you're in control of your biology you can stop the anxiety
- What Dave means by "not making enough energy in my head"
- "It's easier to have physical health without mental health, but it's almost impossible to have mental health without physical health"
- Why getting out of bed in the morning is stressful (why cortisol is produced)
- "Anxiety is when you're self generating stress that isn't beneficial of productive for you"
- How there is another pilot in your body that does things before you even think about it
- "Feelings are irrational, in fact they are pre rational"
- How when your blood sugar crashes it affects your eyes and brain first. It then sends out adrenaline to raise blood sugar followed by cortisol
- What Dave means by "automated systems from lizards and children"
- Physical anxiety vs emotional anxiety. "I can feel the symptoms of anxiety in my chest, I just don't believe them when they tell me I'm going to die"
- "I'm uncomfortable, but I'm not going to die"
- Why coffee makes us anxious
- How what you did 2 days ago can give you anxiety today (Dave talks about gluten)
- What birth trauma is and why this makes us see threats where other people don't
- What is it about coffee that makes the anxiety
- Why Dave only gets hot water from Starbucks
- What about decaffeinated coffee
- What is Bulletproof coffee
- What ketosis is and why it's beneficial for us
- Why food causes inflammation and what the link to anxiety is
- If you're going to race against anxiety why it's so important to fuel yourself properly
- I ask Dave what legacy he'd like to leave