As I’m traveling this week and next I wanted to share a couple of my favourite interviews from the archive.
In this episode I speak to Mark Manson about his point of view around anxiety and growth. We talk about relationships, personal growth and generally not giving a f*ck.
Mark Manson is a blogger, author and entrepreneur. He specializes in writing personal development advice that doesn't suck. His website MarkManson.net is read by over 2 million people each month. He lives in New York City.
To order Marks book go here: https://markmanson.net/books/subtle-art
In this particular episode you will learn:
- How anxiety is an affect and not a cause
- “You will become way less concerned with what other people think of you when you realize how seldom they do.” David Foster Wallace
- How when we share we get the opportunity to realize we are not alone
- How having anxiety allowed Mark to realize it couldn't get any worse
- How anxiety can be tied to significance
- Why it's important to options
- How we often can get ahead of ourselves in relationships and life in general
- How neither good emotions or bad emotions last
- What if I've peaked?
- "Problems never go away they get solved and upgraded"
- "Happiness comes from solving and improving upon our problems" (not avoiding them)
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
SUBTLETY #1: NOT GIVING A FUCK DOES NOT MEAN BEING INDIFFERENT; IT MEANS BEING COMFORTABLE WITH BEING DIFFERENT
SUBTLETY #2: TO NOT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ADVERSITY, YOU MUST FIRST GIVE A FUCK ABOUT SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT THAN ADVERSITY
SUBTLETY #3: WE ALL HAVE A LIMITED NUMBER OF FUCKS TO GIVE; PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE AND WHO YOU GIVE THEM TO